Friday, July 4, 2014

Elizabeth Price: Not A Good Nationals for promising Athlete, and a stinging retirement.

   Well, I was watching the 2013 Nationals, working my way up to the Worlds (For the 2nd time, maybe even 3rd.) And I was excited to see how my main girl Ebee recovered from her injury, a broken toe (Remind you of anyone? 2012 Gold Medalist (Team) McKayla Maroney? Mac acquired the same injury in London, preventing her from competing floor exercise, her second best event. Anyway, Elizabeth had injured her toe after the City of Jesolo. In addition to the broken toe, or as I like to call it "Mac's London Injury" Ebee had also had a strained hip muscle. Ebee decided to withdraw from the 2013 American Cup, wanting to rest her hip for more important competitions down the road, like the Visas or the Worlds. Ebee was able to get the rest she needed and resumed training in April of 2013, but unfortunately, after she resumed training, she severely injured her other hip, and flared up the other one, giving Ebee two bad hips. Ebee was able to compete at Nationals, only doing vault and bars because of her injury. Ebee was then deemed the stay at home alternate,



   In early 2014, Elizabeth Price retired from elite gymnastics, as well as the National Team, to go to Stanford University, I am sure that the rest of the gymternet, and myself, are wishing Ebee a lucky first year of college, and all are sending her a tearful goodbye. I will never forget how much power Ebee brought to the stage. I loved Ebee, and hope that her dreams of actually being an Olympian, and just not an alternate, drag her back to the Olympic Process, sometime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment