Friday, June 20, 2014

2011: Loss of Two Great Athletes

Well, I have an article for you guys!!!!!!! So here I am. Blogging about the loss of two of the Worlds greats (At least in my opinion)


Russia's Aliya Mustafina: Everyone knows who Aliya is. The 2010 World Champion, Russia's favorite gymnast. Aliya was expected to go sweep titles in gymnastics at the Euros and the Worlds. It was her turn to go to vault and perform the biggest vault in gymnastics, the 2 1/2 twist, known as the Amanar. I watched as Aliya rounded off hit her feet upon the springboard and flew into the air.  I said to myself.  "Aliya's going to blow us away." I watched as Aliya landed. Right then, I knew something was wrong. I watched as Aliya saluted with a forced smile, tears in her eyes. I knew right then and there, it was an ACL. And I was right, Aliya collapsed onto the floor and was taken out of the arena. It was a sad day for all of us in the gymnastics world, seeing a World Champion being carried out of the arena.

Aliya Mustafina injuried in the European Championships 2011 at Berlin

USA's Alicia Sacramone: Alicia Sacramone, 2008 Olympian, who had a disappointing Olympics, decided to come back in 2010 for a "Do-over" and planned to tumble all the way to London. She was on the silver-winning 2010 team, which felt like a repeat for her 2008 incident. But Alicia hung around for 2011, she had an absolutely buzz-creating performance at the Nationals, qualifying her to Worlds, along with gym mate, Alexandra Raisman. Two days before the qualifiers, Alicia was practicing her double Arabian on floor, and tore her Achilles Here is a video of her interview with NBC.



Alicia Sacramone Interview 2011   (Sorry about the quality, only vid I can find)



    Even though it is 2014, not 2011, the loss of these athletes, and the way they fell, still weighs heavily on our minds. Or at least on my mind. Aliya came back, but Alicia never came back fully.

No comments:

Post a Comment