Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Catalina Ponor: Her Events

Lets just say there's some stuff going around at my place, including having a very annoying brother who thinks he has free reign of the place. I'd like to show him something. Instead of retaliating, I decided to calm down and hide. Thats why I'm blogging this afternoon, It might take me awhile to cool down, which is good for you, my fans, because I've been away. So, instead of thinking up new segments, I decided to do one of the classics, Her Events. Today, I will be doing this with Romanian Legend, Catalina Ponor. Catalina was known for her gymnastics, especially those on beam and floor. I will talk about those two events, along with the other two, vault and bars.


Vault: As we saw in London, Cata can do this event very well, but only had a 1 1/5 twisting Yurchenko. But what Cata does, she does well. She could be counted on on this event if Romania was in a pinch.

Bars:  Every gymnast has her weak spot, and this is Cata's. She, along with the rest of the Romanian squad, had to get through this event. The Romanian Coaches would not put her on this event unless they were really desperate.


Beam: As her 2004 Gold Medal proves, Catalina is state of the art on this event. She can definitely be counted on to give Romania some major points. Sure, Catalina's beam might have gotten a little rusty in 2012, with Aly Raisman winning bronze over her, but in 2004, when Aly was just a wee little tike, Catalina Ponor won the gold. To us older gym fans, Catalina is one of the best on beam.

Floor: Once again, Catalina's Athens gold Medal prvoes how great she is on this event. She had packed tumbling. I was so amazed when she won her third gold medal. Catalina went home with three gold medals: Team, Beam, and Floor. Catalina was truly amazing in 2004, and I loved her floor routine back then, I loved it in London, when she gave her final one in Finals, giving her the silver medal. Aly did have the harder routine, but Cata closed off the silver medal from the other 6 girls, saying: The silver's mine.


So, as we remember the retired Romanian Gymnast that brought so much pride to her country in both 2004 and 2012, we must emphasize how great she actually was.
















No comments:

Post a Comment